Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Creator of a Movement



The Decision to be a Journalist

About six or seven years ago, I made the choice to follow the career path of a journalist. Many of my peers were leaning towards careers in education, healthcare, welding, construction, or criminal justice. Out of my graduating class, I was one of the only kids who was pursuing a degree in journalism.



Back in my hometown, journalists weren't and still aren't everyone's cup of tea. If I log onto my Facebook right now, there is a large chance that I will scroll past some article or status criticizing the media and journalists. The photo below is actually a post from my AP Calculus teacher blaming the media for causing panic about COVID-19. 

Obviously, this is just one example of how my town isn't the biggest fan of journalists. I don't want it to seem like I am throwing a pity party about how many look down on journalists. Instead, I wish to explain how many journalists encouraged me to pursue my "unconventional" path. 

If you didn't know, I am a white, straight woman. Because of this, I have more agency than some people. In my eyes, it is my job to use my agency to give a voice to those who are voiceless. As a journalist, I can have a platform to do just that. 

The Movement

In August of 2017, I was starting my sophomore year at HPU. I was finally getting involved with my major and was producing actual stories. At the same time, two female journalists were working on a story that would cause a global movement that would expose sexual predators for who they are.

On October 5, 2017, Megan Twohey and Jodi Kantor published the article, "Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades" in The New York Times. Unknown to the general public, the film producer, had been sexually harassing/assaulting women for a long time and had covered up his crimes with money and power.

This story and others like it began the #MeToo movement. This movement was for all the people who had or were being sexually harassed and felt helpless due to their harasser's power or economic status. The Me Too movement gave a voice to people who felt voiceless before speaking out about their abuser.

Twohey's story was published almost three years ago, but #MeToo stories haven't stopped coming. In those three years, she's been able to see Weinstein convicted for his crimes.

Megan Twohey

From Evanston, Illinois, Twohey graduated from Georgetown University in 1998 (only a year after I was born). Both of her parents worked in the media, so the news was in her blood.

In 2009, Twohey's investigative reports were gaining traction in the Chicago Tribune. 
Portrait of Megan Twohey at the 2018 Pulitzer PrizesTwohey reported that many police departments in Chicago were failing to test every rape kit that came their way. Due to her story, Illinois became the first state to require testing for every rape kit. Many states followed soon after. 

In 2010, Twohey reported on doctors who were actually convicted of sex crimes or felonies who were still abusing current patients. In a series of stories, Twohey was able to see legislation pass that requires healthcare professionals to have a background check. 

Twohey published an investigative report in Reuter's News about Americans who were finding places to abandon their adopted children through the internet. This story made it to the Nightly News and to the Today Show on NBC. 

In 2016, she published stories about the sexual allegations made about President Trump and continued to publish stories once Trump threatened to sue the NYT. 

In 2017, she and Kantor pursued the accusations made against Weinstein, even though Weinstein had incredible power and reach among the film industry and more. Jeopardizing their careers, the two women published the story that sparked a movement and created voices for thousands. 

The Push to Continue On 

I didn't decide to be a journalist because of Megan Twohey. But, she is one of the many journalists who have spurred me on to be the best journalist I can be. I hope to be half the journalist Twohey is. With her passion for the truth and strength to speak out on topics that people haven't spoken on before, she is the type of journalist I aspire to be. Twohey didn't always have a large audience for her stories, but that didn't stop her from making a difference. From the start of her career, she fought for the truth and saw a real change come from the stories she wrote. 





1 comment:

  1. What a great and timely choice! It is certainly a powerful example about how journalism can literally change society. We live in a different world than the one that existed before this reporting. That's literally true. I really like the way you related how your life path has been affected by your journo hero. And I really appreciate your dedication to both your education and to the mission you've chosen because real journalism truly is a mission. I think it's in your blood!

    ReplyDelete