Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Where Do I Get My News?

YouTube

My first dose of news that I actually enjoyed watching was from the Philip DeFranco Show on YouTube. DeFranco is in his thirties and has been producing a daily news show for over ten years on the site. His coverage is almost always non-biased and he sticks to the facts.

One of my favorite things about DeFranco is that if there is a breaking news story (think a school shooting or the Impeachment trial), then he reports on the information available, but never makes assumptions about what is to come. He will always cover it the next day when all the details have been released.
Above is one of his recent videos where he reports on all types of news whether it is politics or entertainment news across the world. I normally watch his shows as I get ready for my day. He is my main source of news.

Twitter

My second source of news is from Twitter. I have been on Twitter since 2011, and I have stayed with it since then. I follow a lot of celebrities and my friends, but I tend to stray away from people who don't agree with my political beliefs or how I view the world.

But, I follow people who I know that I tend to agree with. Because of this, most of the people I follow are aware of the news and most often tweet about breaking news. I find most of my breaking news out from Twitter and the people I follow. The Twitter trending page is also super helpful to get quick info about the news since it is what most people are talking about at the time.

The News App

A lot of days I am in class or doing something where I am not actively on my phone. Before I put alerts on my phone, I would miss a lot of crucial information if I didn't read about it hours later on another site.

Then, I took Copyediting with Dr. Hayes where you have weekly current events quizzes about local and global news. The questions were always oddly specific, so I decided to sign up for alerts to be sent to my phone. I have alerts from The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN, Buzzfeed (for entertainment purposes), and NPR.

My phone usually looks like this most days from alerts piling up while I am in class.


Friends and Family 

I tend to associate with a lot of journalism, criminal justice, or political science majors. So, most of the time we are all caught up on the news. If something important happens, I can always count on receiving a text from one of them in a group chat about the event. Usually, we all talk about after getting the info and its what we focus on at dinner or when I facetime my mom in the evening.

Facebook

I am not the biggest fan of Facebook since most of my friends are from my conservative and red neck high school. My other friends are either my mom's friends or family and they all live in my small town of Spartanburg.

Most of the posts that these people share are from websites like Christian Daily or Fox News or even sites that make no sense being a news source. But, because they share news from these sites, I am able to see what is not the truth and what is actually incorrect. I used to try and educate these people with fact checks, but most didn't take kindly to a twenty-year-old telling them this is fake news.

Besides that, I use Facebook to stay up on local news since a lot of people will share news about my old school district or things going on in my hometown. By staying up to date, I can easily talk news with my mom and sister who still reside in Spartanburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment